I love using Mickey button covers for Natan Shai, they are so aesthetic and keep the area dry too. Also, because not everybody has heard of a G-Tube, people tend to freak out less when they see his button 😉
What Are G-Tube Covers?
G-tube covers are handmade and they are specifically made to replace the medical gauze and cello tape that cause’s skin irritation. They have a soft fleece backing for comfort which also absorbs any small leakage. They are made with different designs on the material and can even be season related, and colour coordinated 🙂 They come in different shapes, usually round or square and some of them have poppers to keep them closed. Personally, I like the ones that have poppers otherwise they might fall off……..although, to be honest, I haven’t tried them without.
Why Do We Love Them?
Another great thing about these G-tube covers is that they are machine washable and last for a very long time. I’ve had mine which I bought for Natan Shai about 18 months ago and they are still looking pretty new. I generally change them once a day, when I change his clothes and then once they’re used up I stick them in the washing machine with his other clothes (or you can wash them individually if you prefer). Personally, I don’t put them in the dryer. They dry very quickly anyhow.
Usually, they come in sets of either 5 or 7 pieces in colours for boys and girls.
Easy To Use.
- Open and place pad around the underside of the Mic-Key and press on poppers to close.
- Don’t need to buy or cut to size any more medical gauze!
- No more irritation on the skin from uncomfortable medical tape.
- Absorbs much better leaks from formula or stomach spills than medical gauze.
- Consequently much more comfortable to wear.
- Protects garments from getting stained.
- Less chance of granulation tissue when you use G-tube covers.
- Don’t need to constantly change clothes because of leakage.
Washable and Re-usable.
- G-tube pads are reusable and can be put in the washing machine.
- Can be washed in multiple temperatures.
- Can be used with any stain remover.
- Use a net laundry bag to keep them together in the washing machine.
- Environmental friendly – no more throwing medical gauze away.
Natan Shai is prone to getting very sore in the area around his Gastro, and also itchy, which is a big problem because he can’t even scratch himself, so it was very frustrating for him and extremely uncomfortable. As if he doesn’t have enough problems, poor guy 🙁 Somebody recommended these pads for him and I haven’t looked back. I immediately noticed a huge difference around his G-tube site. Right away after only one day of using this cover, it was dryer and not red at all. For us, this solved the problem completely.
So if like me you’re looking for the perfect solution to have an aesthetic and nice looking g tube for either yourself or for your child then please go ahead and click on any of the pictures to buy one.
I hope this helped you in some way,
With Much Love,
Hannah (Natan Shai’s Mom)